A complete renovation and restoration of an elegant Georgian townhouse by Stanford White from 1900. Originally built as a single family residence, the building had been gutted and converted for use as the national headquarters for the AAA. Our project was to restore the townhouse back to a single-family residence. The building is organized around the original central marble stair with rooms distributed off of the landings. Some of the rooms are a modern interpretation of what we know of the original interiors from Stanford White's drawings found at the New York Historical Society, (paneled walls and ceilings of ebonized mahogany, Venetian plaster walls, plaster crown moldings) and other rooms are completely modern (high gloss white lacquer, stainless steel).
14,000 square feet including cellar, five levels and roof. New MEP systems, major structural changes, all new interior partitions, hydraulic elevator extension for two floors, new roof penthouse, new double hung windows, full emergency generator.
Jason Iplixian - project manager / project designer
In collaboration with the decorator Jack C. Anderson